Scarlett's Reviews > Ironskin

Sep 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-arc, reviewed
Read from July 30 to August 06, 2012

Originally published on my blog here.

What first drew me to this book was its amazing cover! A close second would be the fact that it's a Jane Eyre steampunk retelling with faeries...and yes, you heard that right! Have you added this to your TBR yet?

Starting out I loved how atmospheric it all was. It felt shadowed to me, which fit so perfectly with the mood of things and how everyone was just recovering from a war. Not too much to be happy about here! But it wasn't depressing. I guess the only way to describe it is how things feel on a rainy afternoon on a windswept moor...yeah, I got into the imagery.

What I also really liked about this book was the fact that Jane actually does her governess duties in this one. She and the daughter are quite similar in their 'issues' and Jane is determined to help her. How that actually ends up happening, I won't ruin, but it was quite refreshing to see her working with the girl and us actually getting to know the daughter (which is something I don't even remember feeling in the original!) instead of her just being an excuse for Jane to be there.

So, for about the first half of the book, I was quite impressed. This was such a cool re-imagning of a classic favorite I was excited to continue....and then Jane kind of lost her wits. For the first half she's a strong, self-willed girl and then all of a sudden she gets...twitterpated! It was really frusting to watch her obsess over Mr. Rochart on the slightest things, I didn't understand it. I know that it's supposed to happen eventually, but the way it was done didn't feel natural and wasn't as much of a slow burn as I wanted it to be.

Towards the end Jane does exemplify some quick wittedness and intellect, but in my opinion she doesn't recover her sensibility from the beginning and the daughter falls a bit to the way side.
I AM looking forward to reading the sequel, but the latter half of this book was not what I was expecting or thought fit. This is an author to watch out for though!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironskin.

07/30/2012 page 35