Charlyn Trussell's Reviews > A Hero For WondLa

A Hero For WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi

May 12, 12

bookshelves: adventure, dystopia, fantasy, fiction, friendship, series, strong-female-character
Recommended for: Grades 4 and up
Read from May 11 to 12, 2012, read count: 1

Eva Nine had hoped to find humans and now, accompanied by Rovee, the Caerulean who has taken the place of Muthr as her companion, she seems to have found a way. Hailey, a young pilot, promises to take her to New Attica which is populated by humans like herself and Hailey. So it is strange that when she arrives, she doesn't feel like she fits in. As she looks around she realizes that there are no aliens--and that is when she begins to worry about the fate of Rovee who has not accompanied her into the city.

When she misses the curfew on her first day there and flees to the aviary to hide, she is found by a young woman she had already noticed during the day. The young woman is Eva Eight, born into the same sanctuary unit as Eva Nine--a sister also raised by Muthr. Eight introduces Eva to the activities of the night, the reason for the curfew. Apparently Cadmus is building an army using robots and alien intelligence while he simultaneously destroys aliens and turns people into mindless followers. Eva quickly realizes that she, Eight, and Rovee are in jeopardy.

Unlike so many of the citizens of New Attica, Eva cares deeply for those she's met. So, when she realizes she and Eight must escape, she also knows that she can't leave without taking Rovee with her. What follows is a frightening rescue and escape which turns into a chase. Eva had already been singled out by Cadmus for some reason and her escape with others who haven't had their curiosity removed is dangerous to his plans. Very quickly, Eva becomes responsible for the future of far more than those who have escaped with her. And so the book continues, with no clear-cut resolution at the end, but another book in this adventure to follow.

Like the first book, this book has great illustrations by the author. One doesn't expect to get this bonus in a longer fantasy, but they are a great addition, bringing the inhabitants of Orbona alive. It reminds me of the Edge Chronicles, another series I enjoyed.

Both I and one of my students had waited for this sequel, so she'll get my copy on Monday. Great fantasies with a girl as the feisty heroine aren't plentiful, so I'm more than happy to purchase them knowing they'll end up on the shelves of the school library. (And a sad note that at this time of year with my small library budget emptied, purchasing books myself if the only way my students will get the newest books.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hero For WondLa.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Timothy "Only way"? Use the public library! :)

Charlyn  Trussell That would be a possibility if our public library purchased more books for children. They own neither of the books in this series, but they do still have a biography I read 50 years ago.:(