Jess's Reviews > Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment

Yoga Bitch by Suzanne Morrison

2119409
May 30, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, funny, memoir-biography
Read from May 16 to 30, 2012

Y is for Yoga Bitch by Suzanne Morrison. The book says she’s a cynical smoker who goes on a 2 month yoga retreat to get in touch with her spiritual side. The problem I have with books who advertise ‘I’m cynical and have problems’ and then resolve all the problems by the end of the book already had one foot in the door.

One memoir I read about a woman who decided to change her life with magazines complained about her terrible relationships but she was already in therapy and had a quality boyfriend candidate waiting in the wings. No memoir has someone go from totally-flawed to totally-fixed. There’s always some groundwork.

Morrison was the same because while she was a cynical coffee-loving smoker, she was also a yoga junkie before she left. She idolized her teacher and loved doing yoga so she was open to spiritual awakening no matter how agnostic she proclaimed to be. One of her reoccurring points is that she enjoys the theatricality of religion. Like many of us, she probably just wants something she can believe in.

She gradually warmed to the ideas and practices of people drinking the Kool-Aid (among other things). When she became the perfect yoga student with meditation, concentration, and a seizure-like vision, I wasn’t that shocked. The beginnings of that were already there. You can tell by the way she talks about the female yoga teacher she adores and idolizes her in the beginning. Her thirst for approval was obvious but not unfamiliar.

Eventually the teacher is revealed to be flawed and human. Morrison claims to enjoy knocking her off the pedestal and kicking her former idol. She wanted something to believe in but her cynicism loved that this latest ‘god’ wasn’t perfect.

At the end Morrison seems to be unchanged but in retrospect she admits to being transformed in a way she didn’t realize yet. Morrison has a good voice and this was an interesting story to tell.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yoga Bitch.

Quotes Jess Liked

Suzanne Morrison
“When a person gives you a book to read, he's asking you to look into his soul.”
Suzanne Morrison, Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment

Suzanne Morrison
“I think there's a secret part of me that would like to drop my entire life off a cliff and watch it break into a million pieces”

05/16/2012 page 25
05/29/2012 page 260
74.0% "I like seeing Suzanne disillusioned about her yoga mentor. She goes from hero human."
05/29/2012 page 300
85.0% "I'm enjoying Suzanne's journey from cynicism to enlightenment and back to cynicism again. Nothing stays perfect."
show 5 hidden updates…