Kaitlin's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

May 12, 12

Read in January, 2012

I really enjoyed this and laughed out loud a number of times. That said, someone reading this who has never heard of Kaling probably won't get it. Yes, it's kind of rambling and goofy, but duh, that's the point.

Unfortunately, my favorite part of the book was the question/answer section in the beginning. I read it standing in my kitchen and laughed like a moron while my husband stared at me in disbelief. The early stories were really good too, but it got a little slow toward the middle. There were interesting bits throughout though. I especially liked the chapter about romantic comedy characters who don't exist in real life.

I don't find Kaling shallow at all, which some people said they did. I just don't see that. She was a nerdy kid who loved books and has worked really hard to get herself where she is. She fully admits she's a little cocky about her writing, but she never talks down to the reader. She doesn't mention money ever, maybe mentions fashion a couple times, and OK she had some body image issues but what woman hasn't? So yeah I don't get the shallow thing.

This isn't meant to be a guide to anything, so don't read it expecting that. It's a quick, fun read and insight into the life of a talented young writer and actor.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.