Sarah (Workaday Reads)'s Reviews > Nimbus: A Steampunk Novel

May 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2013
Read on September 02, 2013

This was an exciting start to a serial story. There is no sitting around or unnecessary descriptions here, the action starts quick and continues straight through the whole book. Since it is a serial, it has a non-ending, instead, simply stopping in a cliffhanger fashion.

The story starts with two different threads, having only the world in common. I’m sure the plots will come together later in the story, but for now, they are quite distinct. It is easy to tell them apart, and easy to follow each of them.

The world building was quite intricate, however not a lot of details are shared in this first part. The general layout is revealed, however much of the history and details are absent. It’s good that there was no info dumping of information, however a little more history would be beneficial since the world is so different.

Overall, this is a good start to a story, but since it’s a serial, it’s not a complete story at all. I like the action focus, and the feeling that the world is quite intricate, but a bit more detail would help flesh it out a bit. The story was originally described to me as “steampunk for people who don’t know they like steampunk” and it seems accurate as I enjoyed the story, and I normally don’t read much steampunk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nimbus.

09/02/2013 marked as: currently-reading