Angelc's Reviews > Sirenz

Sirenz by Charlotte Bennardo

May 12, 2012

bookshelves: already-own-read, keepers

4.5 Stars

This was a really fun modern spin on the Greek myths. I love that it didn't take itself too seriously, yet there's still a lot of heart. I'd say the main message behind the book is friendship, even among an unlikely duo like Shar and Meg.

While I love historicals and fantasy books, I also loved that the authors made the Greek deities completely and unapologetically modern in this book. Hades gives the girls an iPhone with apps to answer any questions that they have about their duties. Persephone is a ditzy Hilton/Kardashian clone. It's modern life and pop culture to the max and it really works here.

Even though Hades is about as far as you can get from my type of guy, I loved reading about him! Another guilty pleasure, I suppose. I think the reason it worked for me here is because he was the 'villian', no one was saying what a great guy he was to date. He was uber-alpha and after Shar for all the wrong reasons and the girls knew it. They didn't think he was a great catch, even though Shar couldn't help being attracted to him since he was so darn hot. I loved all the scenes with Hades for sure!

Overall, a fun, fast-paced modern take on the Greek myths.

sent by the authors in exchange for an honest review

reviewed for http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sirenz.