DubaiReader's Reviews > American Chick in Saudi Arabia

Apr 14, 14

bookshelves: 2012, netgalley, e-book
Read from May 12 to December 15, 2012

First installment.

My initial reaction to this 80 page, first installment of Jean Sasson's memoir is, why only 80 pages? Why has this been issued as just a sample? Personally, although I did enjoy this, I found it a bit frustrating that it was only part of a more complete book.

Jean became famous as the author of the rather shocking book, Princess. This was an insight into the hidden lives of women in Saudi Arabia, particularly the Princess known as Princess Sultana.
The first part of her recent memoir explains how she came to be working in Saudi and the origin of her mission to persuade Saudi women that they must fight for their freedoms and live a full life.
There are three wonderful characters revealed in this installment, a Bedouin woman who has had a satisfying life and has no problems about wearing the veil, an educated young mother who has married her cousin and cannot give birth to a healthy baby and a woman who's only purpose in life is to please her dominant husband.

This is not as good as my previous reads by this author and I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. It was because I had read two of her other books that I was particularly interested in her story, but I prefer her biographical works.
I particularly dislike the title which would not have attracted me if I'd seen the book on a shelf.

Awaiting the next installment.

Also read:
Princess (4 stars)
Mayada: Daughter of Iraq (4 stars)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Chick in Saudi Arabia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jean Sasson Thanks for reading and commenting on the book. I thought I would explain that while I was working on my memoir another project, something very important about another woman, came to me. I had to stop what I was doing and write the other story. However, my literary agent loved the stories of the three women and together we decided to issue a sampler of some of my experiences in Saudi Arabia. We did make a big deal of telling everyone that the book was incomplete -- also, the price for the "sampler" was very low. Still, many people are upset although we made a big point of making sure everyone knew it was an incomplete book. I'm really sorry for your disappointment as I don't like disappointing anyone... And, like you, a lot of people don't care for the title. I was so young and naïve when I first went to Saudi that the title described me well. Once I finish the book, and it is released as a full-memoir, the title will change. ANYHOW, I'm glad you read and liked PRINCESS & MAYADA, too and hope you get to read more of my books. For now, have a lovely day, Jean

Frenchie Hi Jean, I did not realise the sampler was already out. I'll get it.
Take care and carry on the good work.
Lots of hugs from me.
Frenchie

Jean Sasson Oh, great Frenchie -- just know that it is a sampler! I don't want you to be disappointed. You are such a lovely support for me and my heroines.

Hugs to you, too! Jean