Beverly's Reviews > The Odyssey

The Odyssey by Homer

Sep 14, 08

Recommended to Beverly by: Joel Feimer
read count: 3

My Classical Lit professor insisted on this translation, and I have no quibbles with it. This would be one of my desert island books for sure--it's got everything in it: adventure, fantastic characters, sexy vixens, loyal dogs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Odyssey.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

....LOVE the loyal dog. All the islands are good too. I read the Lattimore is college too.

Beverly I think that's my very favorite part! I'm going to have to re-read it this winter!

Dana I would be interested in why this translation. Fitzgerald's has been popular. I use a really accessible one by Lombardo, but if I am missing something, I am curious to know about it.

Ramona When I was about thirteen my Dad brought this book home and handed it to me and just said,"you're old enough now, go read this".

Beverly I'm not sure why he insisted on this one. I imagine that it is the translation he used in his graduate work, but I can't say why he found it preferable. I haven't read much of any other translation, but I find Lattimore's a poetic one.

Beverly What a great story!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Dana--my affection for Lattimore may very well be that it simply was my first introduction to the Odyssey, so I have a lingering "first love" thing going on. I've heard that the Fagels translation is excellent, but I haven't compared the two.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds like a very cool Dad!