Gloria's Reviews > The Travels of A T-Shirt in the Global Economy: An Economist Examines the Markets, Power, and Politics of World Trade

The Travels of A T-Shirt in the Global Economy by Pietra Rivoli

Sep 14, 08

Read in September, 2008

I'm actually in the middle of the book now, having decided to read the last third first. The last third (Africa) was the main reason I picked the book up to begin with: I wanted more information on the mitumba market--- something I deal with everyday, as I have made that pledge for purchasing used (exterior) clothing from now on (it's been over a year, actually; should check to see when I started that).

The travels of a T-shirt was first brought to my attention by a NYT Sunday Magazine article; and this book definitely fills in more of the gaps. Returning to the cotton growing and manufacturing (the first two-thirds) however, has made me appreciate the difference between free markets versus markets that have policy/politics influencing and shaping them (and not many of them don't).

A worthwhile read, I would say at this point. I think anyone interested in sustainability should read this book, people on both sides of the issue.

----
Okay, just finished the first two-thirds. Amazingly mind-opening. Had no idea how complex the policies on textile-related imports had become, and the secondary and tertiary effects... Definitely a recommended read to anyone who has bought clothing in the US.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Travels of A T-Shirt in the Global Economy.