Julia's Reviews > Dear John

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

F 50x66
May 12, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John.

Quotes Julia Liked

Nicholas Sparks
“Passion is passion. It's the excitement between the tedious spaces, and it doesn't matter where it's directed...It can be coins or sports or politics or horses or music or faith...the saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all.”

Nicholas Sparks
“And when her lips met mine, I knew that I could live to be a hundred and visit every country in the world, but nothing would ever compare to that single moment when I first kissed the girl of my dreams and knew that my love would last forever.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Part of me aches at the thought of her being so close yet so untouchable, but her story and mine are different now. It wasn't easy for me to accept this simple truth, because there was a time when our stories were the same, but that was six years and two lifetimes ago.”

Nicholas Sparks
“I've been burdened by questions I've asked myself a thousand times since the last time we were together.
Why did I do it? And would I do it again?
It was I, you see, who ended it.”

Nicholas Sparks
“And for the briefest instant, it almost feels like we're together again.”

Nicholas Sparks
“I finally understood what true love meant...love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be.”

Nicholas Sparks
“When you're struggling with something, look at all the people around you and realize that every single person you see is struggling with something, and to them, it's just as hard as what you're going through.”

Nicholas Sparks
“It's possible to go on, no matter how impossible it seems, and that in time, the grief . . . lessens. It may not go away completely, but after a while it's not so overwhelming.”

Nicholas Sparks
“I'm sorry, I guess my company leaves a lot to be desired.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Our story has three parts: a beginning, a middle, and an end. And although this is the way all stories unfold, I still can't believe that ours didn't go on forever.”

Nicholas Sparks
“And then I feel as if I'm witnessing a miracle, as ever so slowly she raises her face towards the moon. I watch her drink in the sight, sensing the flood of memories she's unleashed and wanting nothing more than to let her know I'm here. But instead I stay where I am and stare up at the moon as well. And for the briefest instant, it almost feels like we're together again.”

Nicholas Sparks
“It’s the same thing. Passion is passion. It’s the excitement between the tedious spaces, and it doesn’t matter where it’s directed.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Love should bring joy, it should grant a person peace, but here and not, it was bringing only pain.”

Nicholas Sparks
“We’d met at a carefree time, a moment full of promise, in its place now were the harsh lessons of the real world.”

Nicholas Sparks
“I love you, not just for now, but for always, and I dream of the day that you’ll take me in your arms again.”

Nicholas Sparks
“I steeled myself to focus only on the present yet remain alert to what might come next.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand, and without them, any happiness is only temporary, because there’s nothing to make it last.”

Nicholas Sparks
“The saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand, and without them, any happiness is only temporary, because there's nothing to make it last.”

Nicholas Sparks
“You have no idea how much the last few days have meant to me," I began. "Meeting you has been the best thing that's ever happened to me." I hesitated, know that if I stopped now, I'd never be able to say it to anyone. "I love you," I whispered. "Did you ever imagine something like this?" she wondered aloud. "You and me , I mean?" "No," I said. "It scares me a little." My stomach flipped, and all at once, I was sure she didnt feel the same way. "You dont have to say it back to me," I began. "That's not why I said it--" "I know," she interrupted. "You don't understand. I wasnt scared because you told me. I got scared because I wanted to say it, too: I love you, John.”

Nicholas Sparks
“I'm going to marry you one day, you know." "Is that a promise?" "If you want it to be.”

Nicholas Sparks
“But...as bad as it was, I learned something about myself. That I could go through something like that and survive. I mean, I know it could have been worse--a lot worse-- but for me, it was all I could have handled at the time. And I learned from it.”

Nicholas Sparks
“I fell in love with her when we were together, then fell deeper in love with her in the years we were apart.”

Nicholas Sparks
“I'd learned that some things are best kept secret.”

Nicholas Sparks
“When I look in the mirror, I know I’m looking at someone who isn’t sure she deserves to be loved at all.”

Nicholas Sparks
“That's the big mistake a lot of people make when they wonder how soldiers can put their lives on the line day after day or how they can fight for something they may not believe in. Not everyone does. I've worked with soldiers on all sides of the political spectrum; I've met some who hated the army and others who wanted to make it a career. I've met geniuses and idiots, but when all is said and done,we do what we do for one another. For friendship. Not for country, not for patriotism, not because we're programmed killing machines, but because of the guy next to you. You fight for your friend, to keep him alive, and he fights for you, and everything about the army is built on this simple premise. ”

Nicholas Sparks
“They inspire you, they entertain you, and you end up learning a ton even when you don't know it”

Nicholas Sparks
“My dad always said that when you're struggling with something, look at all the people around you and realize that every single person you see is struggling with something, and to them, it's just hard as what you're going through”

Nicholas Sparks
“love means to see the one you love happy”

Nicholas Sparks
“There are moments when i wish i could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but i have a feeling that if i did, the joy would be gone as well. So i take the memories as they come, accepting them all, letting them guide me whenever i can.”

Nicholas Sparks
“When I think of you and me and what we shared, I know it would be easy for others to dismiss our time together as simply a by-product of the days and nights we spent by the sea, a "fling" that, in the long run, would mean absolutely nothing. Thats why I don't tell people about us. They wouldn't understand, and I don't feel the need to explain, simply becasue I know in my heart how real it was... how real this is. When I think of you I cant help smiling, knowing that you've completed me somehow. I love you, not just for now, but for always, and I dream of the day that you'll take me in your arms again”

Nicholas Sparks
“If you come back; I'll marry you. If you break your promise, you'll break my heart”

Nicholas Sparks
“Dear John, tell me everything. Write it all down, that way, we’ll be with each other all the time, even if we’re not with each other at all.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Regrets about the journey, maybe, but not the destination.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Believe me, I'm no romantic, and while I've heard all about love at first sight, I've never believed in it, and I still don't. But even so, there was something there, something recognizably real, and I couldn't look away.”

Nicholas Sparks
“In our time together, you claimed a special place in my heart, one I'll carry with me forever and that no one can ever replace.”

Nicholas Sparks
“You're a hero and a gentleman, you're kind and honest, but more than that, you're the first man I ever truly loved. And no matter what the future brings, you always will be, and I know that my life is better for it.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Being in love, I find myself smiling for no reason at all...”
tags: love

Nicholas Sparks
“True love means that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be.”