Em's Reviews > A Long Long Way

3220488
Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: 2012, war, historical, favourites
Read from May 12 to June 06, 2012

Sometimes, I find the books I love the most are the most difficult to formulate a review for.

The book is about an Irish volunteer fighting in World War One, I thought it was interesting to read a story from an Irish perspective, quite enlightening in many ways - the turmoil at home as well as that in Europe and the prejudice that existed against Irish soldiers.

I just found so much to admire within the pages of A Long, Long Way, chief among them is the stunningly, jaw-droppingly evocative way that Sebastian Barry describes things:

Lungnaquilla is described as "the folds and folds of its great hills, like a gigantic pudding not ever to be entirely folded in"

the sunset as "the sun was falling off the edge of the world like a burning man"

What will stay with me is the terror of trench warfare, gas attacks, the meloncholy, the affection and love for family and the awakening of political awareness, friendship and trust, growing up, becoming a man. In the end, the book just about broke my heart.

A book like this is why I read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long Long Way.

05/18/2012 page 30
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona Have you read A Secret Scripture? I really enjoyed that and it's great to see this author get another five stars - makes me really want to read this.

message 2: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em I loved The Secret Scripture and thought if anything this book was even better! Barry has a way of describing things so creatively and beautifully it makes my jaw drop, I felt his characterisation was flawless and the experience of the Irish soldiers in WW1 wasn't something I'd had cause to consider before, it was v enlightening.

message 3: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona You make me want to read another Sebastian Barry really soon! I have this one and another. I love his writing

message 4: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em Well, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

message 5: by Ian (last edited Jun 22, 2012 04:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian I'm nearly halfway through and I know it's going to be 5 stars. I'd started Secret Scripture as well, so also have that to finish.

message 6: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em I'm pleased you're enjoying it Ian, I've been recommending it to all my friends (well, those who read anyway.)

message 7: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Finished it last night. Best WW1 trench warfare novel I've ever read. The horror of it, particularly re the gas is stunningly captured.

Susan Em....I love your last sentence ' A book like this is why I read'. I totally agree!

message 9: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em Thanks Susan, I'm glad you agree.