Leanna Palermo's Reviews > Waking Your Dreams

Waking Your Dreams by Emma Mellon

May 16, 12

Read from May 12 to 16, 2012

This tiny little book, or extra long poem-depending upon how one receives it, had me in its grasp with the first line: “This is not a dream dictionary. Dreams will not sit still for that.”
Considering the potentially thousand books or more that I’ve purchased throughout my life and the obvious absence of a single dream dictionary, this woman simply, succinctly and eloquently stated my sentiment and set the tone for this remarkable synopsis of dreams, and how one might unlock the wisdom of our unconscious.
I was skeptical when I had the book in my hands, How can anyone fit a satisfying summary of dreams mean to us into something so small? I thought. Yet somehow the author managed to do just that, and offer inspiration, as well.
She covered the high points of what we have learned about dreaming within the world of science, including the theory of its survival benefits for us as humans. Her concise summary of some pivotal dreams that “visited” famous people actually touched upon a few I’d never read before, in much larger texts on the subject.
Some of the quotes she garnished the pages with were interesting as well. Although most were not statistics and facts, I found this one fascinating: “A typical 75 year old person has spent 50,000 hours dreaming-that’s 2,000 days or 6 years.—Anthony Stevens.” Wow!
Her “dreamwork practices” were intriguing to me and have already proven useful in my own investigation of my night time experiences. How she was able to distill the most important pieces of information for the novice and those with some experience that are looking to do deeper is a testament to her mastery of the subject and rapport with those seeking insight into this gift we possess.
In one of the closing chapters she touches upon another facet of this topic that captivates me. She shares a story of a woman named Mary who is exploring the meaning of the dreams involving her 10 year long deceased mother, “The dream world is a timeless realm that exists in us even as we live with one eye on the clock. There, Mary’s mother is not altered by death, but she does continue to develop, just as the relationship between Mary and her mother…goes on unfolding. In a psychological sense, it does not matter that Mary’s mother is dead. Death is a matter of the rational, concrete world, but their essential relationship is timeless.”
I would recommend this as a very unintimidating piece for someone new to the exploration of their dream life, as well as those experienced oneironauts, who are open to a fresh perspective of an old friend- their own creative, dreamtime mind.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking Your Dreams.