Lyn's Reviews > Year of Wonders

Year of Wonders by Geraldine  Brooks

May 19, 12

Read from May 12 to 19, 2012

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks is a really good book with a very unusual and somewhat unbalanced ending. I think this was her first novel and it made me wonder about her relationship with the editors, did someone coax her into the made for TV finale as a bargain to publishing? Unlike some other reviewers, I cannot say that the ending ruined the story, just undid some of the brilliance of the earlier narrative. From a Goodreads ratings standpoint I was cruising towards a 5 and then trimmed back to a 4. Still an excellent story, obviously well researched and compelling.

While reading I thought of Arthur Miller’s The Crucible and of course Camus’ The Plague (and I forgive her much about the ending for the mention of Oran which could NOT have been coincidence). This is simply, elegantly written and yet the force and brutality of the plot, told in such straightforward prose is also reminiscent of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God (another obvious and brilliant reference) – relentless and shocking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year of Wonders.