Casey's Reviews > Brief Interviews with Hideous Men

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace

May 20, 12

Read from May 12 to 20, 2012

My roommate told me about how its recommended to have two bookmarks for DFW's Infinite Jest, since the text and the footnotes often leave each other on different pages. This happens with Hideous Men, although to a much lesser extent. It was still kind of annoying, but in that absolutely brilliant prose sort of way.
This book is thick and complex and filled with horror and loathing and disgustingly long convoluted behemoth sentences that ramble in a manner eerily similar to how my mind forms thoughts. Every character is despicable in some way, and so reading through the thick, tangled webs lends both a perverse pleasure as well as a sense of awe, that one guy could sit down and imagine people like this, and "put himself in their shoes" to write from perspectives like these. The pieces are arranged well, but short and sometimes feel incomplete, but these are the works of a true master of fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.

05/14/2012 page 130