Laura's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from May 13 to 20, 2012

So this review is spoiler free for the book in question but as far as i'm concerned it'll be a spoiler mine field for the books that have come before it in the series. It's just how it is folks. Sorry!

So I doubt any of my fellow YA bloggers out there wouldn't have at least heard about the excitement for City of Lost Souls even if they weren't experiencing it themselves first hand! I was sent my copy from Walker Books and for that I want to do a pounce juggle attack and a muppet flail of excitement. Walker publish not only Cassandra Clare but also Zoe Marriott who are both two of my favourite YA writers. Actually they may be two of my favourite writers; YA or not.

I dived straight into this book because it always feels a bit like coming home when a new Cassie Clare book is released. I turn to the first page and am created with familiar faces and homes that I've been in before and yet Cassie still manages to shock and surprise me. It's a true talent because to be able to continue to keep a reader gripped and shock them 5 books into a series is hard going. You learn to expect the unexpected but there were moments I did a little gasping flail when events took a turn for the worse or better in strange circumstances.

Now I have two loves in the Mortal Instruments books. The first being the Alec and Magnus relationship because I adore them as a couple and how they are uniquely different people but just somehow work together even though Magnus is technically WAY older. The connect emotionally and that's all that matters. Romantic even to this gal who usually hates the mushy stuff. The second love is for Simon Lewis. I swoon all the live long day over this geek boy. In City of Lost Souls both Alec/Magnus and Simon go on long and hard journey's that really test them as individuals and how they interact with the people in their lives. Particularly Simon who has to deal with his life as a vampire head on by dealing with his past and present before he can consider a future with anyone.

The bond between Clary and Jace (a love of the ages it would seem) is seriously tested as he is still missing in the start of the story and even when he reappears in Clary's life it is not in a way she'd expect and he has company. Clary has to wonder if her love is enough and what she's sacrificing if she listens to her heart over her head. Is it worth it and is what she's fight for even real anymore?

I knew I'd love this latest novel in the Mortal Instruments series because Cassandra Clare hasn't failed yet in her storytelling. She makes me laugh, gasp and cry all in one book and I always get left wanting more. My only bed bug is what I call the big tease factor. One couple always comes close and the steamy scenes are …..*fans self*…..but they stop short a lot. Call me a smut queen if you like but I wanted more from them. Just saying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

05/14/2012 page 52