LemonLinda's Reviews > Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever

Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly

May 17, 12

Read from May 12 to 17, 2012

This was a really good read for me. If you happen not to be a Bill O'Reilly fan, you should not let that stop you from reading this book which takes such a pivotal event in American history, breaks it down and gives the who's, why's wherefores and what nots of the time leading up to, during and afterwards. It addresses all parties as well as acknowledges, but does not give opinions, on other possible conspirators.

Had just a few things gone differently such as Lincoln's bodyguard being in place rather than down the street at a pub, American history may have read quite differently. As it was the South's strongest advocate at the end of the war was taken out during what O'Reilly refers to as the "last gasp of war". His Inaugural address that year called for reconciliation "with malice toward none", but following his death his ideas for the South's return were pushed aside and Reconstruction took on a different tone entirely. Had he lived there may not have been the resentment that lasted for decades. I can even remember as a child my grandmother, who was maybe the kindest person I have ever known, still spoke of Yankees with a tone of us versus them. Thank goodness I would say that now 98% of that is gone. Yes, there is still a very minute element in the South that clings to the Confederate flag and lives in the past, but in general that feeling is gone. It did, however, take all of an entire century for those feelings to disappear. Had Lincoln lived, I really believe that would have been very different.

I was very impressed with O'Reilly's attention to detail. The content was sharp and comprehensive and well presented. My only complaint was that I listened and O'Reilly, himself, was the narrator. His voice can grind on the nerves but I even got used to it and was so absorbed in the content that by the end of the book, I no longer was quite as annoyed by the narration. If this time period, this person or this subject interests you, then you should read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing Lincoln.

05/12/2012 page 50