Amy's Reviews > A Cure for Night

A Cure for Night by Justin Peacock

Sep 27, 08

Read in September, 2008

I was just strolling through the bookstore and happened to read the jacket of this book where Peacock is compared to Richard Price. Need I look further I thought?
It was a good read, a respectable first novel, but there is definitely room for improvement. The beginning and ending are very strong and intriguing, but I found the middle substance to be lacking in depth and variety. Even though the place was varied, I found that I got a little bored with the mechanics of preparing and going through the trial. And to my social worker ears, I didn't find the dialogue to ring true.
However, I greatly appreciated the efforts of the male author in the pseudo-crime genre at providing a fairly rich and complex female character (Price and Pelecanos could learn a thing or two, and should make the attempt at learning). And I also loved reading about a trial that takes place in America everyday: not a death-penalty case, corporate scandal headliner or terrorist trial. I look forward to further novels from Peacock and seeing how his writing evolves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cure for Night.