Vidya-BooksAreMagic's Reviews > The Shapeshifter's Secret

The Shapeshifter's Secret by Heather Ostler

Julia is sixteen and have some teen problems like a terrible teacher, over-protective father and anger management issues. But, she didn't expect to know that she was a warecat (also called a shapeshifter) and royalty in a secret city. When she finally learns her 'gifts', she was taken back to the castle, where she attends school for kids, who were all with some abilities. She also deals with some relationship issues - ah, men!

Nice plot! Have you seen "Sky High" movie? If you like that, you will like this. I felt some similarities between this novel and that movie..and those were really good ones. The author has done an amazing job thinking about this new world and new subplots.

Love the cover, huh? Well, me too! The author must have got an amazing designer to bring out Julia with her warecat abilities in the face. Great design!

My only complaint is that I cannot attach myself to any of the characters. They felt distant. If you don't have problem with those things, then probably you would give this book full 5 stars. But, connecting with characters is a much required parameter for a book, at least according to me. And then the protagonist, Julia, is not someone I adore..actually, I like her friend better than her.

With some of these problems, this book may not be liked by all. So, just think..could you just pick up with the plot and not care about connecting with characters? If yes, then just pick up the book! You will definitely love it.

For a debut, this is really such a good effort!

So, this is my rating: 3.5 STARS!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shapeshifter's Secret.

05/12/2012 page 150