Sarah's Reviews > Ordinary World

Ordinary World by Elisa Lorello

May 12, 12

"Ordinary World" depicts well the crushing horror of losing a loved one in a tragic, senseless way. The story begins with Andi's paralyzing loss of her husband, Sam, on their fifth wedding anniversary and takes us on her harrowing journey through grief, loneliness, and heartbreak.

While the author's depiction of the grief process is quite vivid and believable, Andi's memories of Sam (we meet him only briefly at the beginning of Chapter 2) make him seem too good to be true. Most frustrating is that several times throughout the story hints are dropped that Sam might have had "secrets" in his past, yet these hints are never followed up on and so we are left to wonder.

I'll admit I haven't read "Faking It," which "Ordinary World" is a sequel to, so maybe I missed something that would have explained what seems to be missing information in this story. Overall I enjoyed the book, though I think more fleshing out of the hints about Sam's past would have added a great deal of richness and intrigue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary World.