Erik Nelson's Reviews > Monster Hunter International

Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia

May 12, 2012

liked it
Read on May 12, 2012

I have mixed feelings about the book, but overall I enjoyed it. I thought the fight scenes went on a bit too long for my taste, and I was underwhelmed by the characters who, for the most part, felt a bit too cliched. However, the overarching story managed to keep my interest. The vampires were more traditionally evil in this round (something I appreciate in comparison to the sexy-broody vampires you see in most urban fantasy). The approach was also closer to traditional military SF and its monsters closer to HP Lovecraft than most current urban fantasy--again, interesting departures.

Being a gun nut myself, I loved the detail Correia goes into with the weaponry. He gets the details right in ways most other fiction writers don't. When he had the M1 Garand give its distinctive metal "ping" when the clip is empty ... let's just say I was happy. That said, the detail on guns might put some people off. I loved it.

I'd say my score would be closer to 3.5 than three stars. I'll definitely check out the rest in the series. It's not great, but it's solid and entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster Hunter International.