Ensiform's Reviews > Hit Man

May 12, 12

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 2009

Keller, a reflective hit man, lives an isolated life in New York City, traveling across the country a few times a year to kill people. Sometimes he kills the wrong people by mistake, and sometimes he has to kill people whom he hasn’t been contracted for. Block wrote about Keller for a few years in short story form before releasing this book, which is perforce an episodic novel. Each chapter is self-contained, although each one builds on the events of the last.

I suppose I expected something a little more gritty from the writer of the Scudder series, but this is a very light, sometimes humorous take on contract killing. The mostly phlegmatic Keller sees a psychiatrist, takes up stamp collecting, get a dog, gets a girl, loses dog and girl, and keeps on with his shallowly introspective life. Enjoyable, with a few neat twists.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hit Man.

Lewis Weinstein I liked Block's "Bernie" books much more than the "Scudder" series, which I found gratuitously violent. This one falls in between.

Ensiform I'm a huge Scudder fan. I can acknowledge that there are some quite violent scenes in some of the books, but it's a grim series, and the violence is a mirror to the unfortunately all-too-real monstrous side of human nature.