Paula's Reviews > Heft

Heft by Liz   Moore

May 12, 12

I absolutely loved this book. One of the main characters feels like an Anne Tyler creation - with the prerequisite Imperfections and - yet a loving person underneath the HEFT of his outward appearance and hermit-like existance.

Can we overcome our own insecurities and fears to reach out to others -- even if we may be rejected or hurt? What is family - what is love?

"All my life I have heard it said that you can't chose your family, and all my life I have lamented this fact as true and unfair. But I think it is possible to look at things differently: I believe we can choose to surround ourselves with a circle of people we love and admire & they can become our adopted family".

As the main character fearfully takes a significant step out of his self-imposed isolation:

"I walked to my front door and opened it. I peered out into the world. The street was quiet and nothingmoved. I opened the glass outer door and walked onto the stoop. A car rolled by, looking for parking and for a moment I grew nervous and excited... I stood very still and put my arms about myself. O what will happen now, I asked. But I was alone and found I could not answer"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heft.