Elizabeth Felt's Reviews > Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

May 12, 12

Read on May 12, 2012

OK, I'm going to start with what bothered me: A sabbatical is not a year long vacation; it is a year without teaching--focusing on some research project. Sabbaticals must be applied for and are usually not easy to get. It is unlikely that a professor with Alzheimer's would be granted a sabbatical to deal with the disease. Additionally, the husband in this story says he can't take his sabbatical year because he is too busy with his research. Huh? He is even thinking of changing jobs to get away from teaching so he can focus more on his research. This is exactly the purpose of the sabbatical. It just didn't make any sense. There were a number of things that didn't make sense. And because of this, the author lost credibility with me.

I found the main character's descent into Alzheimer's interesting, and I wanted to believe that it was an accurate depiction, but because the author was inaccurate with things I do know about, I found I couldn't believe the things I didn't know about. It's a good idea for a novel, but it didn't work for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Alice.