Jason's Reviews > 100 Cupboards

May 12, 12

liked it
Recommended for: Fans of Children's Fantasy
Read in May, 2012

Horrifying where it was supposed to be horrifying (in the same fashion as Gaiman's CORALINE) and quirky at times (but not as quirky as I expected since I came to this book having already read Wilson's NOTES FROM THE TILT-A-WHIRL). Unless my wife and I zoned out more than we're admitting, we both felt that Wilson left minor lapses in the plot--small things like not mentioning when a character has finished a task outside a specific setting and has rejoined that setting.

If you're a fan of dark, twisted children's fantasy (with tense horror and macabre), you might like this one, and though reminiscent of Narnia at times (magical worlds entered by curious kids opening cupboards vs. curious kids opening a wardrobe, an evil witch antagonist, mysterious passageways and coded instructions entrusted to and guarded by elderly men), 100 CUPBOARDS, the first in Wilson's three-part series, is not as explicit in its biblical allegory and imagery as Lewis was in the first book of his series (written), THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE, and the book Lewis decided SHOULD be the first book, (written later), THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Cupboards.

Samuel I think that 100 Cupboards was strongly inspired by but loosely based on TCON, but it was very original. I wonder if D.J Machale got inspired by C.S. Lewis, but Pendragon is also fairly original. And interestingly enough, each author of fiction about passages to alternate times and/or places, all are recognized as writers with two initials folowed by their last names. For example, C. S. Lewis, D. J. Machale, N. D. Wilson, etc. And 100 Cupboards had some horror, but it was not too gory for most children.

Jason Interesting. Also, J.R.R. Tolkien. What is it with these initials? I think most older kids could handle the gore. The younger ones, say 4th grade and below, will probably get the crap scared out of them. The first and third books have some pretty horrifying scenes, especially in the third one when the kids visit the tombs of Endor. Yikes!!