trishtrash's Reviews > Shroud For A Nightingale

Shroud For A Nightingale by P.D. James

May 12, 12

bookshelves: crime-fiction-and-mystery
Read in May, 2012

A nursing school inspection ends horribly with the death of a student during a demonstration of intra-gastric feeding tubes. This gruesome beginning is compounded with a second student death, and the local police are exchanged for the Yard’s Inspector Adam Dalgliesh whose implacable determination to get at the truth is welcomed by the nursing staff with varying degrees of coolness.

I’m not sure where in the series this one falls, but this Dalgliesh novel was just a bit too staid and dated to hold my attention properly. It didn’t lack James’ firm hold of character or her exquisite attention to detail (although there were points when I almost wished it did lack the latter), but the characters and detail were rarely interesting to me, and while curiosity got me to the dénouement, once there I was both unconvinced and, unfortunately, had seen similar motives in other [crime] novels (to be fair, it’s likely they were written after this one) and failed to find it as clever as it probably was. I still enjoyed Dalgliesh, and the moments of progress of the investigation, but for all the swiftness of his deductions it still felt like an extraordinarily long read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shroud For A Nightingale.