Rebekka Steg's Reviews > Victorian Farm: Christmas Edition

Victorian Farm by Ruth Goodman

May 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012, cleaning, cooking, history, non-fiction
Read in January, 2012

This weeks book for Writer's Wednesday is Victorian Farm by Alex Langlands, Peter Ginn & Ruth Goodman. It's a fascinating account by three historians who lived on a Victorian farm for one year (also filmed by BBC). I really really enjoyed it, but I've always been fascinated by history, and especially farm life 100-150 years ago, so this was right up my alley.

The book goes through everything, from life with the animals, to harvesting, gardening, cooking, building, clothes, shoes, laundry, etc.. It brought up so many issues, which I had never even considered, yet found incredibly interesting to read about. The three authors lived on a farm, with only the same tools and knowledge available to them, as would have been available to a mid-sized farm during the Victorian age in England, wearing Victorian style clothes, and working a farm with everything that includes.

The book is full of colourful photographies, as well as drawings of original tools and equipment, recipes and fascinating knowledge. I greatly recommend it to anyone who has any kind of interest in history, farming, and how things used to be done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Victorian Farm.