Neil Mudde's Reviews > Ninety Days: A Memoir of Recovery

Ninety Days by Bill Clegg

2034390
May 12, 2012

Read in July, 2012

Well completed reading the book today, it is an interesting and often frustrating story of Bill Clegg trying to obtain his 90 days of Sobriety,( 90 meeting in 90 days)which is suggested by one of the programs which I followed reaching 18 years of sobriety. His struggle of reaching this goal can be heartbreaking. Bill Clegg is not only addicted to alcohol, but various drugs as well, the story is well written, and will no doubt encourage those persons trying to get the addiction monkey off their back, should they slip, meaning go out again to drink, never to give up and try again, this program is filled with slogans, sayings some rather trite, but then coming off a bender one needs simple sayings to remember them more easily.
From my experience there were often blackouts, when I had no idea what I had done, how I got home, and all sorts of horrific experiences told me after the fact, I am amazed that Bill is able to describe is descent into the drugs and booze, the persons he met, and frolicked with during a bender.
I believe this book will help millions of people out there who have an addiction to booze and drugs, it is impossible to those not addicted persons to ever understand why would you do this to yourself, for those addicts when not using there is a alive and well committee living in the brain that will tell you why you should use, even though the last experience may have been the worst one forgets, Bill uses the term "being sick of being sick and tired" often one forgets and in a weak moment back on the merry go round once more all sorts of theories are brought forth as to the why's I am a member of a large family yet I am the only one affected by alcohol, in this manner
Will power is worthless, and only the person addicted will understand this, higher power often becomes an issue, however believing in ones self does this.
An addict is an addict either rich or poor, obviously even thought Bill speaks about not having any money at times there is a difference in that perception, he has friends who live well, and can provide him with funds, not having money often means he only has 8.000.oo left in his account, I do not wish to nitpick but there is a difference, suffice it to say Bill attained his 90 days and is going strong today he had a great position within the publishing world and continues to represent many authors.
His message to those struggling with drugs and alcohol sounds sincere, without mentioning the organization whose anonymity policy must have changed since its inception, since it now advertises on T.V. I believe it is one of the several ways in attaining sobriety.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ninety Days.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Adam Dunn I'm glad you got this book and liked it better than the previous one.
It seems to have touched a lot in you, as it did with me. Like you say, there are some elements you identify with, some you don't, but the story is the universal story of the addict and is told well.
"Sick and tired of being sick and tired" struck a note with me too.