Julie's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

May 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in May, 2012

Disclaimer: I received an advanced reading copy (ARC) as part of Goodreads First Reads program. My opinions are my own.

I tend to be more of a fan of "intellectual" literature. I like books that really make you think. This book was certainly not one of those books.

That being said, I also occasionally enjoy what I like to call "beach-reads". To me beach-reads are the type of books you can read through quickly without much intellectual involvement or processing. They are the type of books that are catchy, cute and enjoyable. This book would make the perfect beach read.

The story was ridiculously predictable. I knew who Mr. Tuesday was the moment he was introduced and I knew exactly where the story was going. There really were no "surprises" to the story. No unexpected twists or turns.

Several characters were introduced that really had nothing to do with the overall story. Sometimes they feeled forced and almost as if they were just there to. Fill space so the book could be long enough to be marketable as a novel rather than a short story.

The author took a REALLY long time to progress the story. In the end everything was wrapped up in less than three pages and was really anti-climactic. Several side stories were vaguely finalized if at all. In many ways it felt as if the author was setting the book up for a sequel.

I gave this book three stars because while it was easy and "enjoyable" to read there wasn't really much to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.