Anna's Reviews > Ion

Ion by Liviu Rebreanu

May 12, 12

bookshelves: craptastic, school-mandatory
Read in November, 2011

In a few words, I can describe this novel as a soap opera with peasants. Not at all what you would call an amazing book. It revolves mostly around Ion and his desperate wish for more land, because in the society of that time, having land meant that you had some sort of higher standing in society, and for a poor boy with nothing, that was the most important thing in the world.

The second conflict of this book was between his wish for riches and his need for true love, because Ion is torn between two girls. On the one hand, Anna has a lot of land and money, and marrying her would certainly raise his status in the village, but, on the other hand, Florica represents the girl he loves, his soul mate as some might call it.

When I first read the summary, I though, wow this could be great. But yeah, huge disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dvenger Even i couldn't have said that better. I for one, can honestly say it was one of the worst books i was forced to read. Ever. Probably in my former reincarnations too. I can count on the fingers on one hand the books that made me want to throw them out the window or watch them burn. Unfortunately, this was one of them and as a great devourer of books it is a very sad thing to say.

Anna Precisely! However, there were a few chapters I liked, but not enough to like the book as a whole. There were some chapters that took me days to go through because I couldn't bring myself to read more than a paragraph every few hours. And this is coming from a person that goes through books like underwear...

message 3: by Bugai (new)

Bugai Dragos Don't know if trolling or just doesn't know history and the change of values through time

Anna Bugai wrote: "Don't know if trolling or just doesn't know history and the change of values through time"

I'm not quite sure what history has to do with it.

Yes, I understand the fact that at that time having more land was equal to having a large bank account, that was not what I disliked about the book. I didn't have any problem with it at all, really. I just thought the book was a bit dull and uninteresting, that's all.

message 5: by Bugai (new)

Bugai Dragos *Nothing to do here*