Remittance Girl's Reviews > Blood Harvest

Blood Harvest by S.J. Bolton

May 12, 12

I own a copy

I do enjoy S.J. Bolton's ability to set up a marvelous mystery and her plotting is excellent and seldom easy to predict.

Like her other novels, although Blood Harvest might have been all about evil lurking beneath the sleepy and charming surface of a rural English village, it does have unexpected characters and some really good research.

I love the fact that Bolton's heroines are always deeply scarred, either physically or mentally, but I do get a little tired of the sometimes hyperbolic extremes to which their insecurities lead them.

Like the main character in Awakening, a badly disfigured veterinarian, the female lead character in Blood Harvest is also almost psychotically insecure about her disability. At some point it becomes boring and threatens to overshadow what is a very good mystery.

It also erodes the believability of the men who pursue her female protagonists. Scarred or not, disabled or not, there's only so much abuse any sane man puts up with before they shrug their shoulders and walk away.

I appreciate the psychological depth of her characters, but her judgement of just how spikey her heroines need to be in order to be unique, sympathetic and realistically appealing is not always good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Harvest.