Keertana's Reviews > The Lucky One

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

May 12, 12

Read from May 11 to 12, 2012

The hope for love is unlike any other kind of hope in the world – for good grades, for gifts, for an unexpected arrival. Those are the types of hopes that have the power to disappoint you, but only for a short period of time. The disappointment of love – of not holding on to it, of not finding it, of not valuing it – is the kind of disappointment that can shake the very foundations of your life. I think that’s why I always tell people, and myself, that I hate Nicholas Sparks; because his novels teach me to hope. They make me believe that someday, even I can be so lucky and fated to find a love that is pure, unrelenting, unselfish, loyal, strong, and unwavering in the face of hardship. I try to steel myself against the hope, simply because I don’t want the type of disappointment love can bring, but somehow, I manage to fall back into the vicious cycle of belief that Nicolas Sparks’ story inspire.

I haven’t read a lot of Nicholas Sparks’ books and I’ve read even fewer that I like. A Walk to Remember joined The Notebook under my mental list of “not-likely-to-ever-happen-in-real-life” but since I’m a sucker for romance, I enjoyed them. Dear John was simply outright disappointing because of the ending, which many people said was realistic, but once again, I disagreed. The majority of the characters in Sparks’ stories are too kind-hearted, too forgiving, to plain and outright nice to be believable or real to me in any way. Thus, The Last Song is the only Nicholas Sparks book I can admit to truly enjoying, next to The Lucky One.

I’m sure most of you already know the synopsis of The Lucky One from seeing its recent trailer (featuring the deliciously handsome Zac Efron :P), but I’ll give you a quick summary of my own. Logan, a U.S. Marine, doesn’t expect to survive the horrors of war that he does, especially when his close friends don’t make it out alive. Yet, his surprising survival makes him forced to believe in something he never has before: fate, destiny, and a guardian angel. Logan finds a picture of a young woman at war, and, finding out that it belongs to no one he knows, he keeps it. Although he is unable to explain it, he inexplicably feels as if he owes this woman his life – as if she and her well wishes have somehow kept him alive. Back home in Colorado, Logan can’t seem to forget the photograph, and thus, he finds himself in North Carolina. Beth, the beautiful divorced mother in the picture, is finally found, but Logan can’t find the words to tell her what he feels and why he has come into her life. Little does he know that she may need him just as much as he needs her…

I’m just going to cut straight to the chase and say it: this book was brilliant! After reading Dear John, I wasn’t expecting too much from another male protagonist who was in the army, but Logan’s character completely blew me away. He was written in such a believable manner that my heart completely broke for him. I loved his quiet, thoughtful personality and it was clear that a lot of that influence came from being in the war. Logan was by no means perfect, but his imperfections only solidified my liking of him and increased my respect of him as well. Logan and Beth’s relationship – like that of any Nicholas Sparks novel romance – was slow, steady, blooming, and passionate. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about it and adored the way in which they complemented each other, enriching and improving their lives. Still, as much as I loved their romance, I really liked the way in which Sparks handled the issue of fate/destiny. Logan didn’t entirely believe in it and Beth found it difficult to grasp with too, but ultimately, whatever it may be – fate, destiny, a guardian angel – its there and it happened and you just have to make the best of what’s happening now. While the chemistry between Beth and Logan was phenomenal, what really grabbed my attention was the manner in which they responded to each other. It was realistic. There was no unnecessary drama, long and drawn out arguing, or heavy misunderstandings. There were problems certainly and mishaps, but they were dealt with and resolved in such a normal, believable manner. Perhaps it’s simply because I read so much Young Adult Fiction, where characters behaving realistically is often so rare, that I was so floored by this, but even for a Nicholas Sparks book, this was quite an unbelievable feat.

The Nicholas Sparks novels that I’ve grown to love are those that involve more and go beyond just the surface romance. Logan’s relationship with Beth’s son, Beth’s grandmother, and Beth’s ex-husband were all equally as important, touching, and heart-breaking. Logan’s transformation as a character as he slowly opened up, coming out of the stupor life had left him in after the war, was remarkable to read. In addition, Beth herself goes through immense character growth as she takes charge of her life, deciding where to draw the line with her overbearing ex-husband. Furthermore, although the jealous ex-husband card seemed a tad bit too overdone, I enjoyed how it played out in the story. My only qualm with this “villain” was that he was dealt with a little too easily at the end and exited the story in such a clean manner that I was left feeling a little bit unsatisfied. I suppose though, that since this is a book about fate and destiny that we can simply credit those powers with the smooth ending that we received.

There is so much to say about The Lucky One, yet I feel as if I don’t have the right words to say it all. More than the romance, the writing, or the passion, this was a story about moving on, taking control of your life, and changing others lives for the better. Each and every relationship felt so real, tangible, and beautiful, that I found myself wishing my own relationships and friendships in life were that strong. The Lucky One truly was a novel about hope and belief in a better future. Finishing a good Nicholas Sparks story leaves you feeling as if you’re holding an ever-filling coffee mug of hope and expectations. Hope to find/enjoy love in the future and expectations for how that romance should be. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I’ve found in my experience that it always does better to not hope and be pleasantly surprised rather than hope and be sadly disappointed. Yet, there is something about this book that renders me unable to not hope and believe. So, if my future is ever shattered by my unrealistic beliefs in love, we’ll know who to blame. Until then, go find your own mug of hope and belief! ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lucky One.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wow. What a beautiful, well-thought out, insightful reflection! Thank you.

Keertana Thank you Elizabeth!(: It means so much to me that you enjoyed it! :D