Kellie's Reviews > Peachtree Road

Peachtree Road by Anne Rivers Siddons

Sep 14, 2008

bookshelves: 2006-reads

** spoiler alert ** This author is a master at her work. This was a very long one. Over 800 pages paperback. However, the story was great. Told from a man’s prospective, Gibby, it is a story of a family who grows up in Buckhead, Atlanta. In this book you see Atlanta at it’s best and worst from the 50’s thru the 80’s. Siddon’s gives you a history of this part of Atlanta like no one else. The story is about Gibby and Lucy (cousins) and their love for each other and how it impacts the rest of their family. Lucy arrives at Gibby’s house when she was a young girl after her father , (Gibby’s uncle) deserts her mom and siblings. Lucy is a beautiful girl with an infectious personality, but the abandonment from her father torments her forever. Towards the end of the book, you really get a glimps of mental illness and how it rears it’s ugly head in times of stress and loss as in Lucy’s case. Siddons does a wonderful job with detail. So much so that as a reader you are right in the thick of things. I admit, this book took a while for me to get under it’s spell but once I got in, I never looked back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peachtree Road.