Gene's Reviews > All Things Bright And Beautiful

All Things Bright And Beautiful by James Herriot

M 50x66
Jul 03, 12

Read from May 11 to July 03, 2012

This book that I have is a strange Taiwan pirated edition that says it is Bantam Books, but the number of pages fits a different publisher. Regardless of that, I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the book. At first I thought it was fiction, and after a bit I noticed it was biographical. Some of Herriot's stories are just too good, and I wonder if a little embellishment wasn't employed. Nevertheless, each chapter makes for one good quick story, though a few chapters link together into mult-episode stories. I really think the mix of adventure, suspense, romance, and comedy would make for a great television series, and perhaps that has already been done with some of Herriot's stuff; I would recommend it be done.

My wife feared that the blood and gore of veterinary work would turn me off. Though the descriptions were quite graphic in that sense, it never made me the slightest bit queasy. I took my own sweet time with the book because I was in no hurry to complete it: It was that enjoyable. It's hard to think of better light reading.

Though the author occasionally presents the reader with deeper matters to ponder, it's not really a book with much of a message, and perhaps that's where the book fails slightly. I still did find something deeper to take away from this book. Though the veterinarian's life is quite ordinary in many ways, he finds ways of observing the people and events around him in a way that makes life very interesting, and surely each of us can step back enough to find our own lives similarly engaging and abundant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Things Bright And Beautiful.