Melanie's Reviews > Rape Girl

Rape Girl by Alina Klein

Jul 30, 12

This is the second YA book I've read on the topic of rape, but I was pleasantly pleased with how different Rape Girl was in terms of voice, premise, and style of writing. Rape Girl is about a girl who isn't afraid to speak about what happened, but when she does, suffers horrible and unexpected consequences in which she's called a liar because there's no way a smart, popular, handsome, religious young man could ever be capable of committing such a heinous act. Rape Girl is about a girl who openly admits she's a victim of rape, holds her ground to her claim, and doesn't falter in her strength to stand by the truth, even at the expense of losing most of her friends, her respect in the community, and her life as she knew it.

I believe Ms. Klein has done an amazing job at pulling me in as reader by giving her MC a strong voice and by the use of her minimalist style of writing, which I am a huge fan of. This book had me emotionally invested and I found myself crying several times—something that is not very common for me when reading a book. I imagine some of it has to do with the topic of the story as I found myself crying when I read Ms. Klein's acknowledgement section where she mentions that she herself is a survivor, having been raped at the age of 16. Ms. Klein has obviously written this story from a very dark place and I applaud her strength to not only write this story but to write it with obvious skill in character development, plotting, use of voice, and pacing. I read this story in less than 4 hours. I've NEVER read a book that quickly, but the story and pacing were THAT good. I highly recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rape Girl.