Chris McFarland's Reviews > The Serpent's Shadow

The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan

May 11, 12

Read in May, 2012

Usually I am not a huge fan of the ending of a series. I can always find something about the way an author chose to end a storyline that I felt was wrong in some way or another. That being said, and this being the second young adult series that Rick Riordan has brought to an end (yes, I know that Percy Jackson is "technically" still going strong, but it is a different series), I have to admit that I am becoming more and more impressed with his story telling ability. He doesn't find a simple, convenient way to end a story that makes you feel like he ran out of ideas before he actually got to the end, nor does he allow everything to pile up in the final chapter and then quickly end it all in a grand and confusing manner that leaves no one satisfied and makes you wonder if he was under a time constraint. He very methodically tied each storyline up along the way, while leaving just enough hints to make you wonder if he is going to tie in a new story.

Look for two minor Heroes of Olympus characters to pop up in the story. I was delighted to make the connection after a couple of re-reads (just to make sure I hadn't misread his descriptions).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Serpent's Shadow.