April's Reviews > The Folded Earth

The Folded Earth by Anuradha Roy

May 15, 12

bookshelves: wordsmith, woc, south-asian, social-commentary
Read from May 11 to 15, 2012

This book is a bit more intense and haunting than An Atlas of Impossible Longing. Roy is just so talented. Even though I did not necessarily identify with Maya, the narrator, I nevertheless was emotionally stirred by the novel's bittersweet ending. It reminded me of the way I felt when I finished The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow.

Although the plot was much less engaging than her in first book, Roy's writing is what makes it great. Her lyricism, word choice and ease with metaphor makes The Folded Earth a pleasure to read.

It reminded me of Steinbeck, the way that Roy uses natural phenomena (weather, wildlife, plants & crops) to foreshadow what is to come. It gives the entire book a rich mysticism, which I love!

My only reservation about this book is that the characters are sometimes too real! Certainly, some minor characters are definitely caricatures for the purpose of social commentary (e.g. Mr. Chauhan). However, many of the main players are remarkably human in the way they make mistakes, struggle with vices.. I found myself continually irked by Maya's naivete. This novel will make you think about what it means to be human in the world with all of its complexity--just like all great novels do!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Folded Earth.