Jody's Reviews > Bloodstorm

Bloodstorm by Amber Kallyn

May 12, 12

As a fan and frequent reader of the vampire genre you'd think I wouldn't come across any new ideas of the vampire mythos. Amber Kallyn's vampires proved me wrong as they can walk in daylight and live on both food and blood. Niki DeVeraux subsists not only on food, but on revenge as well. She's on the hunt for the vampire who turned her after killing her family over 200 years ago. Her recent run-in with her sire has led to a small town where there's an uneasy alliance between wolves and vampires overseen not only by the King and Alpha of each group but also Sheriff Shane who's a shaman and Keeper of the peace over all paranormal creatures within the area.

This was a fast-paced story that flowed along nicely with exciting action sequences and a satisfying build-up of sexual tension leading to steamy sexual encounters between the main couple. Niki is a likable heroine full of sarcasm and brute strength. Badass is her middle name, but after meeting Shane her heart starts unthawing and she soon starts becoming obsessed with more than just revenge. Seeing her blush and be caught off guard by love was refreshing and brought out an interesting facet to her character. Shane too was likable with the weight of the world on him. I'm intrigued by his powers and their connection to the Earth. I enjoyed the give and take between Niki and Shane and seeing her finally have someone to lean on was a heartwarming sight after her years of loneliness. Their sexual interludes were both sexy and sweet and the connection between them was palpable.

There are many secondary characters that bode well for the future of this series. A secondary story involving Shane's older brother being passed over to receive the shaman powers, the vampire King Jordan, as well as newly turned sheriff's deputy Chase all left a lasting impression on me and have me excited for their stories to be told. You too will find lots to like in this first, in what I hope is a long lived series, book that is full of action and an undercurrent of impending war. So get in on the ground floor of this intriguing new series that adds some new twists to old myths and get a copy of Bloodstorm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodstorm.