Lady's Reviews > Magic Study

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from June 23 to 24, 2012

By the time I finished Poison Study I loved Valek. So, I was little wary of how much fun a whole book without him would be. I had no reason to worry though; Maria V. Snyder is so good with her supporting characters that I enjoyed Yelena's time without him. And also I liked that their love as so strong that she never really was without him.

Cahil was definitely an interesting new mix to the cast and it was strange to see how he evolved, the emotions that ended up ruling him which I wouldn't have expected. He's a character that had every potential to be this one type of guy, but he never really could let himself.

Also, story-sense be damned! I was afraid for a little while that (view spoiler) But I was totally wrong and not just because the pieces didn't add up the way I was afraid they would but because Snyder had all sorts of unexpected pieces to add to the puzzle.

(view spoiler) Yelena's a pretty good character, but her charm for me really is about how people around her react. I enjoyed the new cast of supporting characters and am totally afraid of the new villains because Snyder's bad guys don't play around. This is a beautifully conceived world with interesting magic and really enjoyable characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Study.