02CadenK's Reviews > The Martian Chronicles

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

May 11, 2012

Read in May, 2012

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury was a very strange book. In leaving their home planet, the colonizers from Earth may have escaped bad debt or trouble with the law — but the human characteristics of greed and pride were not left behind. It isn't long before these men overrun the Martian culture and try to turn the planet into a clone of Earth, with the same problems they tried to escape. And their ties to Earth prove strong, as a war on the home planet eventually brings most colonizers home — but not before they've left their mark on Mars.

In defense of the humans, it seems that Mars is not always the most hospitable planet in the galaxy. Only a few chapters feature Martian characters, and although mostly peaceful, they're sometimes on the attack. Whether that's purely driven by their defense against the planet's new inhabitants is not completely clear; I'm not sure we can reasonably conclude that it's just a battle of good (Martian) vs. evil (Earth men). Bradbury also makes the point that the colonizers were largely American, and some of his characters seem to tap into the old frontier spirit of the gold rush days. Is that seen as purely American, now — that sort of "land grab"/"race to the riches" attitude? I can't help but think that there must have been many opportunities in history for that kind of mentality.

This book was not what I expected. I assumed that it was going to be one of the books that you HAVE to read, but i enjoyed it! It didn't feel like i was reading it, just because i had to. I think that i would recemmond this book to definitley an older audience, i think that younger people might get a little confused or lost. Overall i thought the book was very good and enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian Chronicles.