Jerry's Reviews > Into Deep Waters

Into Deep Waters by Kaje Harper

** spoiler alert ** I am writing this review just days after the President of the United States of America said he believes two men or two women who love each other should have the right to marry. Not sure I even dared believe this would happen in my lifetime.
I'm loving this story. But I knew I would--It's Kaje so of course I would love it, plus it's a romance over 60 years. Thats just off the charts for me.
I loved the innocence and unchartered physicality of their coming together. On a ship at sea even! The way it is written makes it so believable. The sinking of the ship was so painful as was their separation for the duration of the war. Just as reading about Jacob reading Daniel's letters from the war and how the drawings became fewer and fewer and then stopped.
I love how Kaje wove so much GLBT history into the story. Stonewall, what a watershed monument in history. Even though this started with these guys in the 1940's, the thoughts and sensibilities reflect my husband's and my experience starting in the very late 70's. We too went thru dealing with forcing our families to decide that they had to include both of us nor neither of us. We both work too long and take each other for granted. We both struggle with how close to be in public to friends who are a little too "nelly" for our taste or sensibilities.
It's like she is writing personally for me. I just love this story. My husband and I are in our mid 50's and I know we have many years ahead. But I do fear what age will do to us. I fear falling and Alzheimer's and stokes. I want him to be with me always. Life is full of changes and humans are frail. The one thing that is constant just like Daniel and Jacob is our love for each other.
Now I am crying with joy at the beauty of the ending.
This is going on my favorites shelf and I am going to lobby her to make this a full blown novel!

Addendum:
In light of DADT and DOMA going down in defeat, all kinds of fantastic things are happening. Here is a couple older that Kaje's guys (70's and 90's) getting married in real life!
WWII Vet, John Banvard, Marries Vietnam Vet, Gerard Nadeau, His Boyfriend Of 20 Years In V.A. Home's First Gay Wedding (VIDEO)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into Deep Waters.

05/11/2012
54.0% "I'm loving this story. But I knew I would--It's Kaje so of course I would love it, then a romance over 60 years? Off the charts for me.
Loved the innocence and confusion of their coming together. Seems very real. The sinking of the ship was painful. Just at the part where Jacob is reading Daniel's letters."
05/12/2012
82.0% "I've just reached Stonewall. Even though this started with these guys in the 40's, the thoughts and sensibilities reflect my husband's and my experience starting in the very late 70's. We too went thru dealing with forcing our families to decide that they had to include both of us nor neither of us. We both work too long and take each other for granted." 1 comment
05/12/2012
83.0% "We both struggle with how close to be in public to friends who are a little too "nelly" for our taste or sensibilities. It's like she is writing personally for me. I just love this story."
05/12/2012
100.0% "Ok, now I am balling at the beauty of the ending."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY Whenever I think of you and your partner being together, loving each other for this long, it always brings a smile to my heart and I, too, hope the day will come when same-sex unions will be recognized and the individuals given the same rights as everyone else. May take awhile in my country, though. May God continue to bless you both, Jerry:)

Jerry ElaineY wrote: "Whenever I think of you and your partner being together, loving each other for this long, it always brings a smile to my heart and I, too, hope the day will come when same-sex unions will be recogn..."

Thank you Elaine. With the world wide attention Barack Obama is recieving with his personal accepting statement of same sex marriage, hopefully it is just around the corner for all countries!

Fangtasia Jerry wrote: "With the world wide attention Barack Obama is recieving with his personal accepting statement of same sex marriage, hopefully it is just around the corner for all countries!..."

Hear, hear!

Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews So happy you liked this story Jerry. I found it a beautiful story and beautifully told. Let's he that the decision is a positive in the USA and the law is changed for same sex marriage. New Zealand has just recently passed same sex marriage ruling with an overall majority and itbhas been standard here in Germany and the UK for the last ten years or so. Maybe they should all read this in the Constitutional Courts and then argue against gay marriage.