Rollie's Reviews > Unearthly

2049248
May 18, 2012

did not like it
Read in May, 2012

Surprising really it is that nowadays YA Paranormal has blossom its patron. Perhaps, from the category where it belongs speaks enough of who mostly reads them—young adults. Apparently, readers of the said modern genre are covered by female majority. Based from obvious fact, the reason behind it is the genre itself has been often these days associated with romance as its sub-genre. Unearthly is under this sort—Paranormal Romance—hence became a reminder to me but didn’t bother about it. Until I finished it, there I met the regrets.

Unearthly tells a story of a sixteen-year old girl, Clara Gardner, who is a one-fourth part angel. Being a Nephilim or a Quartarius angel, it grants her supernatural abilities and required her purpose to accomplish. A vision of a young man standing in a wild fire has become her purpose. Giving the hints of the location in her vision, she and her family leave California to the place where the young man is to know what purpose she has to fulfill with him.

As Clara enrolls herself to the same School as Christian’s, the young man in her visions, she becomes aware that she is falling in love with him. As the development of her story goes on, she meets her closest friends. Then she meets Tucker.

An overview question hovers my mind right after I finished the book: If these two meet you at the same time, who would you choose: your destiny or your true love?

I intentionally picked this book despite of genre where it falls into, though I don’t deny that I read this kind of books. Friends of mine claim that this book is at its best when it comes to its genre. Unfortunately, I really doubt so.

Honestly, I like how the book becomes an easy read for me. However, my rating basis doesn’t just fall into that category. Yes, admiring really it is at how the book opened a Character who was self-aware of her abilities. Unfortunately, I am taking that credit back. Cynthia Hand didn’t start with an innocent character in her book but she still inserted the moment-of-realization-I-am-a-superhuman in a small shard in the book. Herewith, Hands unfortunately failed to build solid history of her race existence thus some of the theories about angels became too hard for me grasp. One example is glowing hair as sign of what they call glory nonetheless it failed to buy me. The abilities mentioned in the book were surreal enough for my standard to absorb.

The book has become dragging to me. Despite of being an easy read, I find the book slow-paced mainly because the narration focused not to the mission but to other else instead. The genuineness of personality of the characters in the book was too weak for me to consider.

I am not against to romance unless it is being demonstrated unrealistically. The story of Unearthly aimed more on romance, unaware that her concept was being overshadowed by it. The obsession of Clara over Christian proves how the book focused more on romance. In a while, yes, it stopped but the love story continued as the story further developed. I did find it bothering that neither of chapters I encountered subjected other stuffs other than romance.

The book consists of twists and revelation that I still find confusing. And that I blame again how Hands didn’t give any concrete history of her world. I was also disappointed at how the purpose ended. Not pertaining about the romance, but the reason behind its difference from the vision.

I reckon this book is not just for me. I still recommend this book to those who are fans of Twilight and Mortal Instrument. The story is like Clary Fray possesses Bella Swan but she chooses Jacob over Edward. Nevertheless, I just want to point out that Hands still needs massive improvements for her next books because apparently this one didn’t make me, at all.

Buddy-Read with Kwesi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

07/07 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-39 of 39) </span> <span class="smallText">(39 new)</span>

Alona Why oh Why?

Rollie Because it was OA. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 It reminds me of Twilight; Carla as Bella, Edward as Christian and lastly Tucker (my favorite) as Jacob. Bwahaha!

Rollie Kwesi kababasa ko lang. YES! The books reminds me of Twilight. :D Haha. Natatawa ako sayo. :D

Kwesi 章英狮 Bakit na naman?

Rollie What makes Tucker become your favorite? :)

Kwesi 章英狮 He is the kawawa in the series. Haha.

Rollie Hindi naman. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Better read the other series, I read few snippets of books two yesterday in FB at wala lang parang her relationship with Tucker is not working like Jacob does.

Rollie Read the other series or read the other books in the same series? I want you to read first the second, then tell me your opinion on it. :)

message 11: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited May 18, 2012 04:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 I have some few words to clarify from your review.

What is the vision all about?

Well, diba that makes the book more better. The vision in the end is different from her true vision because they chose their own true love. Christian for Kay and Clara for Tucker like love prevails all? I think you have to read book two to understand the reason behind the ending. Somehow, Hand created a new mystery by letting the ending end with another big question to solve. It's a technique and I think you expected a lot from the book that you think of Twilight while reading it.

Kwesi 章英狮 Sorry, I mean read the other book from the series.

message 13: by Rollie (last edited May 18, 2012 04:25AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rollie Yes. The vision was all about her purpose. Unfortunately, she was falling into him from the visions and so it became absurd for her to do such when apparently she wasn't able yet met the guy. Somehow, it was a nice thing it ended in a different way. Clara had a vision that she would be together with Christian, and yet at the end it failed, right? My question is where is the sense when the book showed us that they are not meant to each other, yet the vision opposes it.

I believe it is her technique for readers to watch for the second book. But I don't know. I just didn't buy it. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 My question is the sense when the book showed us that they are not meant to each other, yet the vision opposes it.

What is question is the sense? Wrong grammar or you just put metaphor that is not a metaphor? But since you really did not buy it, I don't have a choice but leave you from your misery. It's like your favorite Sanderson book, Mistborn, about the unfulfilled of the prophecy or destiny. Something like that.

If you still don't buy the romance, which is the purpose why Clara is very desperate to meet Christian. Well, from your first paragraph, you already knew that this is a Paranormal Romance as in Romance diba. If you are pointing that this book is focused to Romance, it is because you never appreciated the part where Clara is trying to discover more secrets about her being quarter angel-blood because you are hoping for an action packed scene which did not really happen in the end. Like white winged fighting black winged angels or an angel war or a too much unrealistic power coming out from their hands or something. Unrealistic romance, is like you pulling out the unrealistic from your too much imagination that made you think simple stories becoming unrealistic.

Rollie Have just edited. Sorry naman. I wasn't able to double check.

Kwesi 章英狮 Anyway, overall, from reading your review parang at first place from the time we are just planning to read the book you are not buying the whole paranormal romance stuff. You've been forced, that's the truth behind the one star. Haha.

Rollie Haha. Actually MISTBORN has an awesome conclusion! Though there were hints that the book has a sequel yet it ended in a very satisfying way. :)

I know that this book is a Paranormal Romance, but obsession over a guy who hasn't yet met or even shown fully the face is really stupid. Sorry for the harsh word. :) Tucker and Clara's love story were realistic though, but the obsession over Christian? Sucks!

Kwesi 章英狮 Because she was forced to believe of her own destiny, don't worry I also find it stupid to have obsession with a person. But my whole point is that when she was still young from the end of the story, her friend, Angela, and mother fed her too much about angels stuff and destiny so forth that she became obsess of him. It's like putting the other characters or the environment from the character's situation. Have you ever realized that part?

Satisfying but I don't have a reason to discuss since I never read that book yet but Unearthly's ending is also satisfying.

Rollie Actually I bought the book because it was recommended to me by some friends. They told me there were no cheesy romances in it. :/

Kwesi 章英狮 Forced. Period.

Rollie I think it just suggests that we have different view on things and different preferences. Hey! Didn't you realize that before she met the guy, she as if fell in love with him as if she owned him already?

Rollie Not Forced. Deceived.

Kwesi 章英狮 Because it was the destiny but her true love prevails. Now the question is Hand showed her against to God by not fulfilling the destiny and chose her true love? Another question, what is the difference between true love and destined love? Haha. Echos.

Kwesi 章英狮 Forced. Period.

Rollie Not destined love but destined person. Haha. My question is? Since the vision is changed, what happens then? That is exactly what the books lacks! The history!

Rollie Haha. Forced na kung Forced. :D

Kwesi 章英狮 Because book two is the answer! You are just too demanding! Still a destined love because God gave her Christian as her love, a destined person can be everyone she met in the future without any relationship or with, it's a general coined term.

Kwesi 章英狮 Thank you! Haha.

Rollie If you are destined to a person, it doesn't matter if you love her or not. You're just both meant to be. :)

That's why! I'm not demanding, just saying that it could have been better if explained well the consequences if the the purpose change. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Still demanding too much for a first book in a series. That's why it was in series because questions will be answered in the other books.

Check the term destiny, destined to a person doesn't mean always love.

Rollie Kaya nga. If you are destined to a person, it's regardless if you love her or not. Basta meant to be kayo kahit di niyo gusto ang isa't isa. :D

Kwesi 章英狮 So what if Pokwang gave birth to you and she was your destined mother, a mother is a person, but your love to her is different, a motherly. So you mean, if you are destined to another person, it doesn't mean only love na as in you know, girlfriend boyfriend stuff.

message 33: by Rollie (last edited May 18, 2012 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rollie Ah okay. If Pokwang gave birth to me, it's still not sure that she would be my destined mother if somebody would adopt me to be her destined child. Destiny binds no emotional attachment and blood weigh.

Rollie Have to Go muna. Will do some thing. :D

Kwesi 章英狮 She is still your destined mother for she was the one who gave birth to you. Destiny do not choose the word 'who,' it chooses randomely kahit there is an emotional attachment. The mother adopted you is your second mother who is destined to care for you. The words are second mother so there is still emotional attachment and so on.

Kwesi 章英狮 Okay! I called KFC for dinner.

Rollie Stand corrected. destined to be a biological mother, though. :D

Rollie Ho?