Jason Pettus's Reviews > A Storm of Swords

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

May 11, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, fantasy, smart-nerdy, personal-favorite
Read in May, 2012

So yes, it's true, I'm as much of a drooling fanboy as anyone else for George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" novels, also known as the "Westeros" novels; I've been lucky enough to have my original long write-up of the first volume, A Game of Thrones, eventually become one of the most popular reviews ever published at CCLaP, and I promised then to get at least short recaps up of the rest of the novels as I slowly finish them all. And indeed, much like my review of the second book in this series, A Clash of Kings, I don't have much to say about this third volume besides, "Yep, business as usual!," with it recommended that you simply check out my first write-up for more on why I find this series in general so remarkable; although in this case I at least have to say, that after getting used to Martin bumping off a major character in the middle of his first two Westeros novels, it was a legitimate shock to see him do so here again and then promptly kill off a whole series of other major characters (and I mean major characters), blam blam blam in the last 500 pages like some kind of mafia bloodbath. It just reiterates what Martin has said over and over was the main point of even writing these novels, that the actual Middle Ages was a much more disgusting, violent and unfair time than the shiny clean "age of heroes" that most other fantasy novelists like to present it as; and the simple fact is that whenever a whole series of different clans and tribes would all go to war back then over a disputed title of authority, the only way to resolve this dispute was to literally kill off all the rivals until only one was still standing, a lesson that Martin has taken to heart here with his own "War of the Five Kings," to what will undoubtedly be the dismay of many of his readers. Still just as great as when I started, I'm looking forward to diving into volume four starting next week, and my thanks as always to author Mark R. Brand for letting me borrow his copies for what has now been over a year and still counting. WINTERFELL!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.