Betsey Manzoni's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

May 11, 12

Read in April, 2012

I finally got around to reading this widely acclaimed international best seller. I should have written the review of this first book in the trilogy prior to finishing the 2nd and 3rd so I could have given an unbiased review. I don’t think I would have praised it quite as much at that point, but knowing the rest of the story has made book 1 that much better.

The story begins with Mikael Blomkvist, a well know journalist who has taken a beating in court for libel and has to lay low in his career. He is offered an astronomical sum of money by an ageing industrialist to investigate the disappearance of his great-niece off of a family owned island 40 years ago. The “Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” is actually Lisbeth Salander, a 24 year old computer hacker and personal investigator who gets drawn into the story when Blomkvist hires her to assist him. Salander is anti-social, withdrawn, and has a history of abuse. Her unchecked temper manages to land her in trouble on more than one occasion.

The investigation progresses and Blomkvist and Salander soon discover that the disappearance is connected to several other murders and it doesn’t take long for the murderer to begin threatening them.

The first 100 or so pages are a lot of story setup and background, so it drags in the beginning, but once it gets going, it really picks up. The only flaw I could point out is that there are a lot of characters and several story lines to follow. I enjoyed this book.