Joella www.cinjoella.com's Reviews > How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous

How They Croaked by Georgia Bragg

May 14, 2012

bookshelves: yalsa-best-of-the-best, non-fiction, audio, young-adult, reluctant-reader
Read on May 11, 2012

This was my 13th book for the YALSA Best Books reading challenge. I thought a gruesome book for the 13th would be fitting. I didn't expect to love this one. I did!

So this is a non-fiction book about how famous people died. It has loads of gory details about medical reasons that people such as King Tut or George Washington died. There are lots of random facts as well. And there is bit at the end about how all these famous people are connected. (Such as the fact that Napoleon read Caesar's books for "strategy".)

Basically this is a smart, funny read about something that one wouldn't think is all that funny--death. There are comic bits there is someone compared to a deck of cards that "has all the aces" but is missing a few cards in in the middle. Or there is the part about King Henry VIII perhaps exploding. Readers who can stomach the gore will just laugh out loud. And this was made even better because I listened to it on an audio book. It was narrated by L. J. Ganser. Hilarious read. Perfect voice and intonations for making me snort while working on other projects. I ended up just listening while playing games on my ipad because I couldn't really concentrate on anything that needed to have more brain cells--they were all listening to this book.

Yeah, so this was funny. It wasn't as gory as I thought it would be. I mean, it was gory it just didn't seem so bad because I was laughing about all the squirmy bits. Plus it was a great book to listen to. I did look at the book after I finished listening and was sad that I didn't get to see all the great illustrations...but I think the narration was perfect enough that I didn't care all that much. This would be a great book for reluctant readers or kids who like to laugh over gory details such as leeches or puss. 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How They Croaked.

Natalie I seriously loved this book. I'm so glad you read it, so I could find it and enjoy it as well. I wish more history books were written in such an entertaining way. It would definitely help bring the past alive for the masses.

Joella www.cinjoella.com Yay! I'm SO GLAD you liked it! I didn't really want to read it until that YALSA's Best Books challenge I did...and I was so glad I read it too! I agree, there need to be lots and lots more non-fiction books like this written! :)