Bob Henry's Reviews > Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World

Love Does by Bob Goff

May 17, 12

Read from May 11 to 17, 2012

I admit it. I am tired of arguing, debating, and spending so much of my time researching just to find an answer to another of life’s dilemmas. From family life to the weekly sermons, I find myself on a constant “rat race” to find answers, truth, and sometimes a way around it all–just finishing a doctoral program probably doesn’t help this mindset.

I have found over time, academia and religion have a way of taking the fun and reality out of reading. Books become resources, articles hold keys to greater truths, even blogs, the internet, Wikipedia become sources for expanded knowledge (oh the irony in blogging about this). The head swells – not because of all of the great learning, but because all that information constantly batters the brain until it is black and blue–swelled like your arm after you said, yes, when a classmate asked if you wanted a “hurt’s doughnut” in grade school.

That’s where I found myself a week or so ago. Reading as a masochistic practice–and my head was swollen and hurting. So much to read…so little time. “Have you read this?” “What do you think about this person’s perspective, theology, slant?” As the proverbial commercial always said, “Calgon, take me away!”

Then about a week ago, I picked up Bob Goff’s new book Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World. My first thought was, here is another person trying to play off the success of Rob Bell’s Love Wins – then I read the foreword.

Bestselling author, Donald Miller writes one of the most admirable forewords to a book I have ever read. The odd thing is that the foreword is not really about the book at all. Instead, Don introduces us to his friend, Bob. He writes, “I don’t know how to explain Bob’s love except to say it is utterly devastating.” Most forewords tell you why you should read the book (and in a way it did), but moreover Don told the reader why we need a person like Bob in our lives.

Don’s foreword defused my mind from preparing for an argument or a debate. I began reading not searching for a perspective to agree with or not. Instead, I read to build a relationship with a person, to experience life with a new friend, and to enjoy the journey of reading again. By chapter five, I had tears of laughter pouring out of my eye sockets. I hadn’t been so energized by a book for quite some time.

Why? What makes this book different?

Bob said it well in Love Does. He said, “One of the ways I make things matter to me is to move from merely learning about something to finding a way to engage it on my own terms…We need to make our faith our very own love story.” This book isn’t Bob’s theological treatise, it isn’t an answer book, but rather it is glimpses of Bob's love story which he has graciously opened up for us to enjoy.

When I finished reading Love Does, I felt I had a new friend. Like I could actually call Bob up and meet with him at his office on Tom Sawyer’s Island–and then I turned to the final page. After the acknowledgements, after the author information, there is one more page, “Connect with Bob,” and there it was, Bob's phone number. Who does that? Who would be that vulnerable? ...only a friend who believes in what “love does.”

It’s time for you to read the book and for me to make a phone call.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Does.