Max Ostrovsky's Reviews > Thuvia, Maid of Mars

Thuvia, Maid of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

May 11, 12

bookshelves: classics, fantasy, sci-fi, young-adult
Read in May, 2012

Might as well call this book "The Son Also Rises" - but I think that might be taken.

Why Thuvia's name is on the cover, I still have no idea and doubt the other books in the series will shed any light on it. This was a pure Carthoris book that mimics the formula of chasing the girl set up with the first two John Carter books.

Then, with a suggestion of a Princess Bride plot line that never gets explored and a political intrigue thriller that never really materializes, there was too much in this book that nothing was done with.

And speaking of materializes - a completely new concept and race to Barsoom is introduced and then done nothing with. A member of this race has a cool scene at the end, but by the time the end is reached in this very short book, it has no emotional impact.

There was barely any swashbuckling that the John Carter trilogy made fun and what was there was dry and meaningless.

I'm stubborn and will continue the series, but at this point, knowing that John Carter's story is done, I feel that there is nothing left on Mars/Barsoom of interest to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thuvia, Maid of Mars.