Luna's Reviews > What's Left of Me

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Jul 06, 12

Read from June 18 to July 04, 2012

Where to start… based on what I’d already heard I had pretty high hopes for What’s Left of Me and thankfully I wasn’t disappointed. What I love the most about this story is that Eva’s narration works.

As the “recessive” soul she is trapped, unable to speak and move but always there as Addie exists in the outside world pretending to be settled. The fear of hybrids (those who don’t settle) is very real. Hybrids are unstable and a danger to everyone and even though Eva understands this she refuses to fade away.

What’s Left of Me is written in first person, yet Eva refers to her and Addie as “us”, “ourselves”, “we” – this never hinders – I’m seriously impressed at how well Kat Zhang has constructed the narration to make this work. You have six characters but only three people and at no point did I struggle to identify which personality went with what voice.

Eva and Addie’s relationship is touching and you can’t help sympathising as both struggle with their changing existence and the danger they find themselves in.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Left of Me.

07/02/2012 page 97