Britta's Reviews > This is What Happy Looks Like

This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

Mar 21, 13

bookshelves: 2013-sarc
Read from February 16 to 19, 2013

THIS, my friends, is what happy looks like. I'm sorry... I told myself I wouldn't play off the title like that, but I had to. And it just so happens to be true.

It all starts when a teenage boy sends an email to his pig sitter... Only he gets the email wrong, and actually sends it to a random girl across the country. This conversation does not stop once the mistake is realized, but rather the girl and boy end up forming a pen pal relationship of sorts. Little does the main female, Ellie, know that the boy she has spent so much time thinking about and talking to is teen heartthrob, Graham Larkin. Will their relationship be as easy going as the anonymous one online when they meet in real life? What if being seen together has unexpected consequences for both of them?

I was a big fan of the author's last novel, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight ( see my not so eloquent review ), so I had high hopes for this one. Actually, that is an understatement. This is one of the books that I was jumping up and down with excitement and anticipation for, jumping every time I overheard someone mention it. Thankfully, it is even better than I had hoped.

The story is told in a very interesting and extremely fun way. The prologue is the actual exchange of emails that starts the relationship. From then on, the story is told in alternating POV's, and at the beginning of each chapter is another email or exchange from the continuing relationship.I was amazed by how much one little email could warm (or break) my heart. I found myself looking forward to the next email as much as Ellie did.

I only have positive things to say about this novel. I tore through the first half and then forced myself to take it slow and savor the story. This is one of those stories that have really great atmospheres - a story that you love to live and immerse yourself in. It takes place in a small Maine town, and as cheesy as this sounds, it feels as if the town reaches out and wraps you in a hug. I felt at home in the story. There are little images that I can't get out of my head. Like a souvenir shop with handwritten poems in all the picture frames. And whoopee pies. I want a whoopee pie really badly. In fact, I think my new mission in life is to try one.

Just read it, okay? You'll thank me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is What Happy Looks Like.

02/16/2013 page 36
8.0% "Ha. I told my self I could read one chapter before starting homework... yeah, not going to be keeping that promise to myself."