Dan's Reviews > The Long Earth

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett

May 11, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, sci-fi
Read from July 05 to 14, 2012

I have to admit, for a while, I was pretty disappointed in this book. The first 75 pages are excruciatingly slow, as the authors try to figure out what they're doing. Given the premise of the book, they had to narrow down what they were going to explore. Until you're 75 pages in, they have difficulty with that; the book meanders, covers too many topics, is occasionally confusing or overly expository.

Luckily, once you get past that opening section, the meat of the book is much better. It's a great adventure story, packed with humor, imagination, and the occasional awkward reference (I seriously question if Radio Shack paid for product placement.) The story builds nicely, and most of the ending is in true Pratchett style.

By the end, I was satisfied with how the novel turned out, and quite liked it. I would consider it not nearly as good as his other recent non-Discworld book, Nation, but that book has grown on me considerably since I read it, and this book feels similar. As in so many recent works of his, it explores a lot of philosophical and psychological themes, and that can be a positive.

I'd probably consider this closer to a 3.5... but I liked enough of it to justify the full four stars. A solid adventure/sci-fi read; recommended if you liked Nation; not the same as vintage Pratchett.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Earth.

07/05 page 28