Valentina Heart's Reviews > The Luckiest

The Luckiest by Piper Vaughn

May 27, 12

bookshelves: glbt, the-romance-reviews
Read from May 11 to 12, 2012

This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

With a kick ass start, this book promised unforgettable characters, great humor and a romance worth talking about. You might ask – where is the surprise since we're talking about Piper Vaughn and M.J. O'Shea – because when it comes to amazing stories they really know their craft.

THE LUCKIEST is the second book in the LUCKY MOON series where we get to see what happens to the bad ass brother Nicky, sorry, that should be Nick. He's a rock star who hasn't had it easy in life and his bad boy attitude is something he thinks he should nurture. That all changes once his life choices endanger both him and his friend and he's forced to go to rehab.

Luka is a nutritionist assigned to get Nick's body back in shape, but while they're both fighting their attraction, outwitting each other with clever comebacks and adjusting to new found personality traits, they find that there's not only a possibility of friendship between them, but also a likelihood of something much stronger.

This is one of those books that I feel like I should rate higher than I really want to. The rating for me would be somewhere between three and four, but I like the writing too much to simply settle with one star less.

If you come to ask what was wrong with this story, I would say it was wonderful and deep enough with some great life lessons, but my personal preference – it didn't quite sit as it probably should have.

I thought both Nick and Luka were great characters and their relationship was just rocky enough to make the whole ride interesting to read about. But the same development of each situation really dragged. I've spent half a night and the whole day reading a book I probably could have finished in a few hours and that pretty much means my heart wasn't in it. The guys, while great, didn't tug at it and had some serious trouble with holding my attention. The beginning was great and I really enjoyed it, but once Nick was out of rehab everything seemed to slow down more and suddenly it was difficult to reach each next stage of their relationship.

They had way too much sex that gave little to the story after a point and the lack of their professional life throughout the story bothered me. I wanted to know how things would go when the difficulties weren't just about Nick's inexperience and insecurities, but rather about his life in the spotlight. Luka's job was pretty much neglected after Nick isn't there anymore and either his second job wasn't really defined or I somehow skipped that part. I think it was just a matter of personal preference, because I always want to know what makes the characters tick, and in this book Nick barely picks up the instrument and Luka teaches some undefined dance while being a nutritionist in a rehab facility without any details as to why he chose that profession.

What eventually made me settle on four stars is the ending. I thought the final scene was just beautiful and I'm sentimental that way. It touched me and sealed the deal. Unfortunately the one before it, where Luka pretty much forces Nick's hand annoyed me something awful. Again, a personal issue where I truly can't stand someone dictating the decisions of others, especially such important decisions.

But after all is said and hashed through, I'm still a big fan of this duo and look forward to their next spark of brilliance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luckiest.

05/11/2012 page 84